Many of us use pen drives, SD card or memory card to transfer files from one computer to another. Certainly, we don’t know whether that computer is virus infected or not and if when we plug in our flash drive into that PC, it gets infected too. Sometimes this leads to some changes in your data. When you see that many of your files are converted or replaced shortcuts then it’s a sure thing that your drive is infected with shortcut virus. If you use this pen drive somewhere else then it’ll infect that computer too.
Also Read : uc browser mini apk 2019
So you have to be a little bit cautious with that. Even computer with antivirus installed can get infected as they generally can’t scan this virus. There is a solution to get rid of this virus however it’ll lose you all your files. So if you don’t want to lose your precious files then you can follow the method given below to remove shortcut virus from your drive. Let’s see them.
Method To Remove Shortcut Virus
You can get rid of shortcut virus present on your drive by simply using the command prompt. The shortcut virus tends to make a shortcut of every file present on the drive however that file is still present on the drive but hidden from us. So you can very easily have your files back by just using some command in the command prompt.
- Plug in your flash drive to the computer but be aware that do not open any of the shortcuts in the drive.
- Now, you’ll have to run the command prompt. You can launch it directly by pressing Win + R and then type “cmd”. Press Enter.
- You’ll see the command window open on the screen. Now, start typing the command given below and replace the X by name of your pen drive.
attrib -h -r -s /s /d X:\*.*
- Once you do that press Enter. This command will uncover all the hidden files and delete all the shortcuts files.
- Now, open your drive folder. You’ll see a new folder, open it and you’ll find all your hidden files here.
- Copy all your files somewhere safe so that you’ll always have a backup.
- Just one more step to format your drive. Right-click on your drive’s icon and then select Format. It’ll delete all the files on your drive thus making it free from infection.
Now, you have your files with yourself and also your drive is free from infection. You can always follow this method to get rid of shortcut virus on your drive in a computer running on Windows.
Shortcut viruses are hardly scanned by any antivirus software so any computer isn’t safe. But this is a very simple way to remove them from your drive. There are some antiviruses available in the market that solely searches for this virus, you can use them. But still, this is an easy way to remove them and without any cost. Just try it out if you ever face this problem. Keep visiting our blog for more such informative piece.