There are many reasons why you want to install Ubuntu on your Windows PC. There are several ways by which you can do this. But by this, you will lose and remove your Windows OS from the PC. But what if one wants to try Ubuntu and Windows OS on his PC? Might be you don’t like to lose the access of windows from your PC. So don’t worry there is a way by which you can use both Ubuntu and Windows at the same time. This is due to the great efforts of the developers of Microsoft which make this possible.
You can set Ubuntu as “dual boot set up” and by this, you can switch between Windows and Ubuntu when you boot up your PC. You can install Ubuntu by a popular way of installing it in form of virtual machine. In this article, you’ll get to know how you can install Ubuntu Virtual Machine on your Windows PC.
Use Ubuntu as a virtual machine provides you with several benefits. So install Ubuntu Virtual Machine on your Windows PC by using Virtual Box application as it is free to use and opens source application similar to Ubuntu. Follow these instructions to accomplish this task.
Download Virtual Box
The very initial step is the download Virtual Box application on your PC. From the official website of Virtual Box download the .exe file and follow the process of installation. Double-click on the .exe file then click “Next” and locate the storage to save.
Creating Virtual Machine
- Open the Virtual Box application.
- When it open, from the top-left edge select the “New” icon.
- Enter the name of the Virtual machine in pop up.
- Then select the type “Linux” and version as “Ubuntu (64-bit)” from the drop-down menu.
- Click ‘Next’.
- Now you’ll ask to allocate the space of RAM. The app suggests you the proper amount of storage used by Ubuntu. You can allocate 4 to 6 GB RAM to this and leave rest for your Windows.
- Then click ‘Next’.
- After that, you will be on a new window page “Create Virtual Hard Disk” and select VDI option. Tap on ‘Next’.
- Now you’ve to choose either ‘Dynamically allocated’ or ‘Fixed size’ option. The reason to choose is mentioned in that window.
- If you’ve sufficient storage then select large space for allocation and then click on create.
- It will take some time to prepare a Virtual machine for Ubuntu.
- Once the Virtual machine is ready, double-click on it to start.
- Tap on the folder symbol and choose the downloaded ‘Ubuntu ISO’. After that click ‘Start’.
- Now select “Install Ubuntu” from the Virtual Box application window.
- Then check all the option boxes. After that select ‘Continue’.
- Now select “Erase disk and install Ubuntu” as it will not rub out your stuff, also it is secure for Virtual Machine.
- Select ‘Install Now’ and then tap on ‘Continue’.
- Now from there, the process is mandatory and you have to decide some setting options. So choose according to yourself and then press ‘Continue’.
- Now in the final step, you’ve to provide username and password. Then press ‘Continue’.
- That’s it your Ubuntu Virtual Machine will install in some time.
The Final Words…
By using this Ubuntu Virtual Machines you don’t need to change anything to your PC permanently. The software which you download in Ubuntu virtual machine remains the same; also you can use it after reboot. So let’s have look on the steps of installing Ubuntu virtual machine. There are many software tools by which you can install a virtual machine. Virtual Box and VMware are popular ones. Hope this article provides you the way for your target. Do share your feedback on our blog if you like this article.